Sunday, April 5, 2009

Inktip

Inktip.com is one of the most widely known and used script services sites. Writers can post loglines, synopses, or even scripts themselves for producers, agents, and managers to browse. Those looking for scripts can search by genre, number of locations, budget, and so on to find material or new talent. Writers are charged a fee to list their loglines or scripts for features (posting a logline for a short script is free). Producers and agents, I believe, are charged to gain access to the site, and are thoroughly vetted.

Inktip offers other services such as a weekly newsletter, which, for a small fee, provides writers with leads from producers or agents looking for specific types of material. If a writer thinks he has a match, he can contact the producer to pitch his script. Inktip also offers a printed newsletter in which writers can list loglines. This newsletter is circulated periodically to many different sources in the industry. There are also links to script analysis services as well as screenwriting contests and other resources.

Inktip boasts weekly success stories: A script has been optioned, a writer hired-- even a script produced as a result of being listed on its website. Why would a writer not want to sign on, right?

First, let me say that I think Inktip is a great service. There are few websites out there like it and we've followed it from its very early days. Joe and I have listed scripts material of ours, as well as clients, and I continue to use it to list loglines on behalf of BU students for their short scripts.

But, as always, I would exercise caution. I think few of the "success" stories are paying success stories. A writer might be optioned or hired, but it's never listed for how much. Maybe this is to protect the privacy of the writer, but I often wonder how successful the success stories are. Joe and I have had scripts optioned, but that's for $1 and not much has come of those (see previous posts about spec writing) deals. So when I see a writer hired or a script optioned on Inktip I do wonder what the substance of the deal is.

Though I do like Inktip, I can't say Joe and I have had a success story of our own from it. We had interaction with more than a few producers based on a logline or script posted, but the producers, in the end, were either trying to get free work out of us or the interest just withered and died on the vine after a time.

I believe Inktip is more useful for certain kinds of scripts. If you have a sweeping epic or a high-budget drama, you might find less interest on Inktip. But if you have a limited location horror script or a thriller with no F/X then you might have better luck.

If you decide to list a logline or a feature-length script, it's $60 for a six month listing. Is it worth it? That averages out to $10 per month, and I think it's worth a try. Just be aware there is no easy way to success in screenwriting, and listing a script on Inktip will not instantly propel you to fame and fortune. It's may be a toe in the door, and, for its versatility, is something that didn't exist few short years ago (and we should be thankful for that), but it's really the beginning of the road and not the pot of gold (figuratively and literally) to which we all aspire.

We'd love to hear about your experiences with Inktip, so please post your thoughts on this topic.

-Randy

4 comments:

Rhea said...

I posted on Inktip for a long, long time, two different scripts. I believed in it, but ultimately did not get anywhere with it. I have had much more success with Virtual Pitchfest in terms of contacts from industry people.

Joe Hughes from Scriptsages.com said...

Interesting, Rhea. I hadn't heard of Virtual Pitchfest. I agree with Randy that it very much depends on if you have that perfect bare bones project some producer 'out there' is casting around for.

-Joe

Unknown said...

I have two scripts under my belt.A chase thriller and a roman action epic.Is this the right place really for them?Put me through please.

Anonymous said...

I think the problem is for people like me, on the far side of the world, Inktip et al offer a foot in the door that I am not sure where it exists somewhere else. Do you guys have any suggestions what you do with a screenplay once it is finished but you don't live in the States?