Sunday, February 15, 2009

And the Oscar Goes to...

Some thoughts on next Sunday's (Feb. 22) Academy Awards...

Not having seen every movie nominated, I'll try to keep my remarks somewhat general. I think it's been a good year for the movies. The five films nominated for best feature are all thoughtful, interesting films. It won't be a "Titanic" or "Lord of the Rings" type of year, when two plainly, spectacle-style films won out over more penetrating material.

I noticed "WALL-E" was nominated for best animated film only, but I think it could be the best of the lot. It had everything, from an interesting visual style to a touching story with well developed characters and humor and drama.

In fact, "WALL-E" was nominated for best original screenplay. Since this is primarily a screenwriting blog, I'm happy to report that the screenplay categories are especially strong this year: "WALL-E" has some stiff competition. "Frozen River" hasn't received much publicity but it is a very nice film. Oftentimes, the Academy will offer a screenwriting nomination to something as a token nod in a film's direction. "Frozen River" is the kind of independent film that won't play at the multi-plex and won't earn much money but should be recognized. But since no one knows about it and there are no stars in it, it doesn't play well in terms of promoting the movie business's big night.

I'm sad to say that many times the screenplay category is used to fob off something with an award because it's not big enough or should get some recognition but won't in the glitzier categories. Not to diminish the writing awards, but sometimes they feel like a buy-off to something that should be recognized more widely.Still, I think all the nominees for original and adapted screenplay are decent efforts and am pleased to see them put forward.

In the big categories, I'd just about bank on Sean Penn winning for "Milk." He was good in the film -even great- but he'll win for the movie's politics. Although a dark horse could be Frank Langella in "Frost/Nixon." I intend to see "The Wrestler" soon, so don't count out (yes, a pun) Mickey Rourke. But my pick would be Penn.I'm less sure about the actress category and both supporting categories. None leap out at me as obvious. Perhaps Kate Winslett in "The Reader," but I think the other acting awards are anyone's guess.

As for the best picture, I'm leaning toward "Slumdog Millionaire." I liked it and have the sneaking suspicion it might just have the chops to win out overall. It should be a great night, regardless of what happens with my personal picks, and I, for one, am thrilled to see so many fine films in release this year.

We invite you to make your picks or leave your thoughts on this year's Academy Awards on our blog...

-Randy

No comments: